Monday, November 13, 2006

Oh, hello...

I saw someone today who I have not seen or spoken to in two years. He is a missionary in Costa Rica. I surprised him while he was speaking to some people and I came up behind him and put my hand on his shoulder...looked at him for a moment, he looked at me, as a stranger, and then recognition came into his eyes and we embraced, as brothers in Christ, glad to see each other again.

When I was fifteen, I wanted to be a youth minister. One TOD as an DCE in an ARP church cured me of that notion in a quick hurry. Alphabet soup aside, I realized that God had other plans for me, and it plunged me into a period of my life where I began to wonder who this "me" was. What made me "me?" A collection of flesh, blood, and organs to be sure...but "what" was I and how was I to interact with "what" other people where?

Twenty years ago I would never have imagined that I would be who I am today. That I would be influential in other people's lives to any degree....that someone would look at me and tell me that I was a father figure in their life. That people would trust me with their deepest secrets...that people would form their opinion of life based on mine. Luke 6:40 humbles me to the depths of who I am...and simultaneously scares me stiff.

I am never left unamazed at how God Almighty orchestrates "me" to meet "you" and "you" to meet "them." Bringing people from all over, forming them into just the person that someone else needs at just that moment. What would appear to be chance is naught but Providence and I am left wanting. Wanting an explanation. Wanting to know who I am and why I am where I am. Clinging to a sense of being my parents' child, my wife's husband, and my friends' companion - never quite sure who I am when left alone.

I seem to define myself as I relate to others....and while I'm not sure what that means completely.....I am sure that it forever will mean that I am to be "someone" for "somebody." What that means, I leave to the history pages...

Today, I was a long unseen friend to a brother in Christ and it made me happy ... profoundly happy ... more so than I have been in a long while.

I wonder who I will be tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home