Sunday, January 28, 2007

An easy yoke... a burden, light...

I don't 'do' trendy.

A book was written a couple of few years ago entitled "An Eight Track Church in a CD World." While I'm sure Dr. Nash had good intentions, they might have been best spent elsewhere paving a road. I like the church as a solidifying, eternal presence. I absolutely love the fact that I can sing the same songs my forefather's did. I don't want lights and sounds and powerpoints and a "praise team." I feel cheap and tawdry singing "a love song" to God. I don't want the church to change to fit the culture....and for that matter I don't think God does either.

I think that's why I've never liked the phrase "Let Go and Let God." Aside from sounding remarkably New Age and Spiritual, I never liked it primarily because it was trendy and I heard "speakers" in trendy tshirts, faded jeans, chains, and a gelled hair-do say it. (I don't like them either, coincidentally.) I still don't like it, but now I have another reason.

When Jesus is praying for the weary, he doesn't say "Give it to God." or "Let go, and I'll take care of it for you." What he says is "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me." I still have something to do. I can't just "let go." I have to "take on"....and what I take on isn't "nothing" but it is "easy, and light." I am still yoked.... it just fits better now. Why? Am I now stronger with broader more powerful shoulders, able to carry the weight? Or does God remove some of the burden, allowing me to regain my feet?

I do not know. I do know, however, that I have not, nor will I ever let go, and let God. He won't and I can't. Instead, I will take whatever he offers me to put on... for I know that wearing it will be infinitely better than shirking anything I have ever made for myself, expecting him to swap it out for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

yeah... it wasn't priceless at the time. only absolutely horrifying.

i was talking to someone about my frustration about lady macbeth a while back. she told me to let it go and give it to God. now i understand why that answer left me even more frustrated.

ah... the yoke of only doing two shows. i'll take it.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

so i missed the part where this was supporting free will...

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home